Sonntag, 5. Februar 2012

Baking Sunday #1


A very heartly 'Welcome !'
to the beginning of a series I have been longing to start for months now !

As often as time will allow me, I may post about my attempts on baking various treats !
I am far from a professional, only a lover of all sweet things - so I shall document all my fails and victories :)

After all all : 'Nothing ventured, nothing gained !'


Baking Sunday #1: Lemon Bars

Original recipe spotted on Bakerella's delightful page !


You'll need for the crust:

  • 225 g butter
  • 205 g flour
  • 75 g confectioners sugar
  • a pinch of grounded lemon zest
For the topping:
  • 340 g plain sugar
  • 30 g flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 4 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup of lemon juice


Preheat oven to 175°C

Use a pan of ~9 x 13.

(I converted all the measurements from cup to gram, I hope I got everything right :))


Here we go !

Mix together flour + confectioners sugar + lemon zest + butter.
Take a fork and make sure that you press the pieces of cold butter firmly, so that it gets all crumbly !


Now fill your mixture into a greased & floured pan & press it down so it stays solid.
Put into the preheated oven & let it bake for 20 minutes !
...

Meanwhile let's prepare the crust !

Ooops I didn't notice until now that I had only used 3 eggs instead of 4 ... oh well :)

Anyways, now beat your eggs lightly !

In another bowl prepare flour, sugar & baking powder.

I had thought that I'd be needing only 3 lemons for the juice ... way to go !
Good that I had bought a whole net of lemons !

Juice out of 7 lemons !

Lemon graveyard hahahah :B

Now add the eggs & lemon juice to the bowl you had set aside. Mix everything well !


20 minutes are over, the crust has taken a golden colour - now pour the topping over the still warm crust !

Put it back into the oven for another 20-25 minutes.


'Hrmmm smells like Lemon Bars !'

Tadaaah fresh out of the oven !
Now let it cool down completely.

... yum !

Just dust them with confectioners sugar & they're ready to be served !

...
...
Now wait a minute !
There's a piece missing !!
WHO ate that ?

...

*lalalaaaa Mummy won't see me if I hide here*
...

Oh well, how did it turn out ?

I think maybe I baked the crust a little too hot, because I misjudged the Farenheit to Celsius conversion for 5 degrees (I preheated on 180°C) & baked it with circulating air, so it would have needed even lower temperature ...

So the crust was more firm like the ones apple pies usually have, but not bad at all !

Whilst looking for the baking powder, I found some grounded lemon zest in the store room & decided to use it for the crust ! I like it because it gives a subtle aroma, not overpowering at all.

Anyways - superb lemon power !
The confectioners sugar dusting makes it perfect !

All in all this is a very nice cake - perfect for a picnic or an afternoon coffee party !

Very light & creamy !

...

Alright, we're done for now !

Thanks for reading ღ


emily.




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen