Montag, 9. November 2015

✵Music Discoveries: Ghost ✵

...it has been a while since I wrote about a new music disovery!

This time I'd like to introduce a Swedish band which doesn't only have a very interesting concept, but also some addictive music up its sleeve:

GHOST




I actually discovered Ghost at the Nova Rock 2014.
I was just hanging out with Daniel from Daedric (and some other dudes) and we were sitting on the ground, waiting for Iron Maiden, who were playing the headliner show in the evening - when Ghost came on stage to perform their show.

When I first saw them - Papa in his satanic pope attire and the ghouls all masked -  the first thought that came to my mind was:  

"OK, they look as if they'd have to be doing some really heavy kind of music, probably won't be too much my cup of tea."

...Oh my, how mistaken I was! \(*゚∀゚*)/
After the first few measures it was clear that they were not at all what I had firstly expected.
Groovy, melodic riffs, accompanied by Papa's clear voice, crisp drums, mellow bass, as well as spooky synth tunes united to play classic 70ies metal with a nice twist.

Generally their style is described as a mixture of Doom, Heavy, Progressive, as well as Psychedelic Metal.

Listen for yourself - here are two of their songs:
"Year Zero" of their album "Infestissumam"


And the first single "Cirice" of their newest album "Meliora"


I have to say at first it wasn't my favourite track, but now after listening to Meliora for about 2 days, I woke up with a relentless jingle of "Cirice" and have been listening to this all day...

So what about the concept?
Generally they display an occult concept; the band consists of 5 Nameless Ghouls and one anti-pope, Papa Emeritus III. The members of Ghost have made it their goal to bring back theatrical metal, so all of them are in character when on stage.

The musicians on bass, two guitars, keyboards and drums are all going by the same name "A Nameless Ghoul" and wear the same stage outfits and masks to conceal their identities.
On vocals is currently Papa Emeritus III - who, just like the pope in the Vatikan, is already the third successor as with every new Ghost album a new Papa is elected by the Ghouls.


Conspiracy theories?
There are many to be read around the internet and I have done a good ton of research so far. I think it's really amusing! It must have been so much fun to design this band's concept.

So actually Papa Emeritus III is very probably the same as II and I were and he is also rumoured to do a majority of the interviews, dressed up as on of the Nameless Ghouls. Another of the Nameless Ghouls, who is nicknamed "Omega" also does a share of the interviews and press stuff, but the rest of Ghost doesn't appear at all or very rarely.

I have watched a lot of their interviews and what I like most about them is that they are extremely polite and laid back dudes, very pleasant indeed.

My personal opinion on their satanic display is that all of it has just been created in order to provoke thought as opposed to them actually being convinced satanists. As far as I have percieved through their interviews, I believe that they generally aim to critisize the church and the way it tries to bind people to itself by intimidating them with the threat of eternal hell after death.

All in all, I have to say that I like thought-provoking messages like this and also I totally adore their music! (╯✧∇✧)╯

They'll be playing live in Vienna on November 20 and I'll be there for sure (as hell, haha!) (  ̄∀ ̄ )/


If you want to know more about Ghost, please visit:


I hope you liked this post and will give Ghost a listen, they're really worth it!
Let me know what you think about them in the comments!


Thank you for reading!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen